The ancient maritime tradition of the Republic of Pisa is re-enacted since 1956, every 4 years, in the Historical Regata: the four ancient maritime republics (Pisa, Venice, Genoa and Amalfi) challenge each other on the Arno. Among other beauties: the Battistero in front of the facade of the Cathedral in the square called “dei Miracoli“. It overlooks the square with 43 arches. Then there is the Cathedral, an absolute masterpiece of Romanesque-Pisan architecture, built in the early 1600s. A huge building entirely covered in marble. And then, the famous Leaning Tower, about 56 meters high.
The Battistero: built by Diotisalvi, began in 1152 and lasted about 200 years. Characteristic is the echo obtained emitting sounds from the side of the baptismal font. Piazza dei Cavalieri has a round shape and was a political center of Pisa in the Middle Ages. Surrounding the square is the magnificent building of Scuola Normale Superiore, the tower of the Count Ugolino remembered by Dante in his Comedy and the church of Santo Stefano dei Cavalieri.